#1 Kentucky takes care of business over Ole Miss 77-62 in front of a crowd of 24,239. Including Steelers head coach Tomlin and key recruit #1 player in the 2012 class Noel. This win marked the 50th straight home win for the Big Blue. UK improves to 12-0 in SEC play and 26-1 on the season. Ole Miss goes to 5-7 in the SEC and 15-11 on the season.
The Wildcats were favored by 21.5 and signs went back and forth on if they would cover. They started out leading 16-5 and Ole Miss battled back to take the lead in the first half partly in thanks to Davis sitting on the bench with 2 fouls. UK then rolled and looked set to cover the spread, then Ole Miss made the game look respectable with their shooting.
Terence Henry for Ole Miss led all scorers with 18.
For the Cats: Lamb-16 (4-6 from three), Jones-15 (double double with 11 rebounds), Miller-14, Wiltjer-13 (3-4 from three), Davis-10, Teague-5, and Kidd-Gilchrist-4.
Two very nice dunks by UK with Millers get out of my way slam and then Davis’ high flying, I hope I don’t hit my head on the rafters alley oop.
Kentucky shot well from three shooting 10-18 (55.6%). They shot better from 3, then they did closer with the 2’s (which includes dunks). UK went only 18-40 from 2 (45%). Ole Miss shot only 5 threes the whole game shooting 3-5 (60%). This was drastically different then Vandy who put up 21 three point attempts last Saturday. Without looking, I would venture to guess the 5 three point attempts is the least amount of attempts Kentucky has seen all season long.
UK won the rebound battle 29-22. Kentucky had 18 assist to their 8. Kentucky with 6 blocks to their 2.
Neither team shot great from the line. UK shot 11-17 (64.7%). Ole Mis shot 9-14 (64.3%).
Cal after the game:
Ole Miss played well, shot well and Andy Kennedy knows they played well. They didn't rebound as well as normal but they didn't miss many shots to rebound.
We played well, I was happy with my team. How good was Kyle Wiltjer was today? Oooh my! I told the players it was a good win, we can get better but enjoy it.
I told Miller, if he can dunk like that why not do that all the time? He is an NBA player, so go play like one.
I told Lamb he is a lottery pick, when he missed that layup not going in aggressive he isn't playing like a lottery pick.
Same with Jones, with 15 points and 11 rebounds. If this is who you are, why not do this every game?
Davis had foul trouble and now I get to watch tape with him not in there. You noticed they went in a shot layups with Davis out. I told Jones, you go block it.
On the practice, that day the only game that rated higher was Notre Dame and Rutgers in primetime and there have been games in primetime that rated lower than that. Are you guys crazy watching practice?
Some asked if I did it for recruits. The game was 3-5, they were in school and then practice.
I'm going to say it again, they played a great ball game. What happened with us we made us a bunch of threes. Well why did we make them? Because that is what they gave us. We beat a team who was playing out of their minds because we shot from three well.
Wiltjer is figuring out how to play angles defensively. He is figuring out how to play physically on defense, how he needs to meet people before the ball hits the rim.
(On MSU) We went in there two years ago and it was an absolute war and I don't know how we won that game but it was crazy.
The players are not computers or machines, we just want them to improve and they all doing that. In the end of the day that is what we can control. We can't control officials, or other teams. I don't worry about the other teams, we worry about us. If we get beat, next game. We are focused on getting better and I'm happy because we are getting better.
Kentucky now has a daunting task ahead of them to wrap up the conference regular season. Kentucky now goes down to #23 Miss. St. who always has a very hostile crowd when Kentucky comes to town. The last time we were there two years ago, it was a very close battle that UK eventually won but had to deal with a crowd cussing out our players and throwing bottles onto the court at our players. They are not a classy group and hope our guys come ready to handle the atmosphere.
Then UK has Vandy, Georgia then @Florida to finish the season up.
Go Cats! Beat the Dawgs!

No comments:
Post a Comment