UK improve to 11-1 after a win against a pesky 1st half Loyola Maryland team, as UK only found themselves up by 6 at the break. In front of a crowd of 22,774, UK takes the win, 87-63. UK almost covered the 24.5 spread. Vegas was quite accurate on this one. This was the first ever meeting between the two programs.
Cats struggled from three, with a goose egg at the half and a goose egg for the game for Lamb. Wiltjer saved the day in this category as he went from 3-6 from behind the arc, the rest of the team shot 0-6. Wiltjer was the only player to even put up a three in the 2nd half. I can’t remember if Cal has ever had a team at UK go into the half without a three. Not sure that is a stat that can be looked up. Loyola shot 5-15 from three for the game.
Kyle Wiltjer won player of the game. Wiltjer after the game:
Cal wanted me to be a more versatile player; he wanted me to work on the one dribble pull ups and getting to the line. Getting to the line makes the game easier.
(One thing he wasn’t expecting in college) Having to bring it every day, not just game days but also in practice wasn’t something that I was used to having to do in high school that you must do at the college level.
It is pretty amazing to be part of the fan base. We are on break right now but still a great crowd. It is pretty amazing to be part of it.
Wiltjer led all scorers with 24. Other scorers for the Cats: Kidd-Gilchrist-15, Davis-15, Miller-13, Lamb-9, Teague-9, and Vargas 2.
UK scored 20 more points from the line. Cats shot 28-37 (75.7%) to Loyola’s 8-16 (50%). This was a season high in attempts and makes from the line.
Loyola rebounded well in the first half, Cats ended up winning the battle 35-27.
The turnovers were about even as the Cats had 9 to their 8.
I have never seen a team foul UK so much, as they went into the half with 15 fouls. In the 2nd half they toned it down a little by only committing 10 fouls. Olson fouled out early after an offensive push off and Walker fouled out later in the 2nd half.
Cal after the game:
(On Gilchrist) We almost sent him home this morning. His mom is in the hospital and getting some things taken care of. Gilchrist met with me last night and was able to get him the first flight out after the game. Gilchrist told me, “You know its just me and my mom, you know?” Kidd-Gilchrist also has his team he wanted to look out for, so he wanted to stay for the game and leave afterwards.
Some guys I still have to drag. Teague is doing well but I have to drag them. Vargas the same deal. They have to want it themselves.
At the end of the day, this time of year, I needed a break from them and I know they needed a break from me.
I get mad when players don’t do what I know they can do. There isn’t garbage time at UK. If you are too good to play hard in the last minutes of the game, then you shouldn’t be here. I don’t care if we are up 20 points.
I told a recruit in the back, this place isn’t for everybody. If you come here you have to be ready to play. When we go on the road, if we lose they storm the court. That doesn’t happen in Rupp. Why? Because we are suppose to win!
I came in today ready for this to be over. I will be honest; I was looking forward to Christmas. If I’m thinking that way, I know the players were. After the game, we did a little prayer for Kidd-Gilchrist mom and as soon as we finished almost everybody was out the door heading home.
(What was the key to UK’s high % shooting in the 2nd half) We made shots, what about that? Wiltjer played well. He is what he is. If he was this unbelievably shot blocking guy, then he would be Larry Bird. With Wiltjer, you have to pay attention to the matchups. He can’t guard a guy who should be a 2 or a 3.
(On pressing us) If you press us, it is dangerous because all of our guys can bounce it. Unless the officials are not calling the holds and scrapes, then it is a dangerous thing to do against this team.
Players come back on the 26th. We will practice on the 26th and 27th. Every year I let the players have Christmas with their family, I want to be with my family. We are a family here but each have their own families and that comes first.
Cats now go on Christmas break and will have their next game on Wednesday December 28th against Lamar at 8:30 eastern. A game I will be attending and will not be able to do a write up on the game.

No comments:
Post a Comment