Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cats bounce back with win over Chattanooga



Cats improved to 9-1 as they took down Chattanooga 87-62.  Coach Cal improves to 39-0 in Rupp.
The big story is the status on Jones who hurt his left hand pinky and tried to give it a go a couple of times but couldn’t stay out there and ended with 0 points.  This coming off his poor performance against IU, many expected Jones to come out and take care of business tonight, unfortunately he never the opportunity to make that happen.

You could not silence the Lamb tonight, as he poured in 24 points, shooting 4-9 from behind the arc. 
Davis had 14 points with an incredible 18 rebounds.  This breaks his previous game high in rebounds by 3, as he had 15 against St. John’s.  It is his 4th double double in his first ten games of his UK career.

Other scorers: Kidd-Gilchrist-17, Miller-12, Teague-11, Wiltjer-9


Beckham saw his first minutes as a Wildcat tonight but did not put a stat up in any category in his short time.  I don’t expect Beckham to be much of a factor this season unless he really blew up.  Cal does not like to go very deep into his bench.  

Cats did not shoot well from the line, as they went 9-14 (64.3%).   Of course 2 of those misses were from Polson, so our regulars shot 9-12 (75%). Only Gilchrist, Miller and Polson found themselves at the line tonight.  

Cats won the rebound battle 40-33. We barely won the turnover battle, as Chattanooga had 15 to our 13.

Lamb after the game:
(What did you learn from the IU game?) We have got to play deep until the game is over.  We gave up at IU and I missed a free throw and he made a tough shot.  

We had a lot of finals this week but we came out tonight and competed.  

In practice we knew Chattanooga would double up the post and we practiced this in practice to get ready for this and how to handle this.

(What is coming up?) We have film tomorrow and then a light practice, then the next day a walk through.  Then Tuesday we have our next game.  

(On grabbing 6 rebounds) I got 6? Coach said I had 7.  (I guess he wanted to make you feel good, you will have to get 7 next time) I am going to go for 10 next game.  

Coach Cal after the game:
Chattanooga played a different way by trapping the post, forcing us to shoot threes since they were leaving us wide open.  

One of my flaws is that I was mad during the game because of a couple of guys.  I shouldn’t take it out on the others who are playing well but I do. 

I was really angry with the last three minutes of the game if they are going to play like this.  You don’t go out there and turn the ball over and miss free throws, they went on a 12-0 run.  If you can’t play in that uniform, then you will sit in warm ups. 

Jones dislocated his pinky; it is on his shooting hand.  We don’t know if that means he will be out future games or not.

I liked the fact that Lamb was rebounding the ball.  Teague and Lamb at times haven’t been fighting for the rebounds and you can’t expect Davis to grab things that are over his head, that has to come from the other players.

I’m not happy with how we keep leaving the corner shooter open.  We left it open 5 times and they hit a 3 four times.  We have went over this over and over in practice, this is why I was so mad seeing them doing this.

I have a good team, I like my team but we have got to make strides.  I’m worried about my guys getting better.  Some players got better today, some didn’t. 

This is when they do not have classes, so they are eating and playing basketball.  Normally this is when my teams get better since there are no rules on what we have to do during this time.  If we need to go three times we will. 

Cats next have Samford on Tuesday night.  Samford comes in 3-6, with all 6 losses to mid majors. 

The ladies (UK Hoops) has a tough matchup tomorrow as the #7 UK Hoops (10-0) plays @#3 Notre Dame tomorrow at 1 eastern. 

In other college basketball action tonight, Vandy falls at home to Indiana St.  I thought they were overrated going into this season as some were picking them to be a final four team but there is not any excuse for losing to Indiana St. on your home court, especially since Vandy rarely loses at home with their crazy position of their benches.

#19 Illini fall from the unbeaten list as UNLV brings another undefeated team down.
#13 Florida destroyed future SEC opponent #22 Texas A&M by 20.
#20 Indiana remained undefeated as they took down Notre Dame.

No comments:

Post a Comment