Thursday, October 13, 2011
Renovate or New Arena?
Kentucky Sports Radio has reported today that Rupp Arena is listed as a renovation project. This is not a 100% guarantee this is the direction UK has decided to go in but it is a big indication of such. This comes after one of the main boosters for UK recently stating a new arena does not have the financial backing at this point.
The question is, is this a good idea? One knock I'm reading for a new area is where in the world would we play for two seasons while the new arena is being built? Suggestions have been said to play at Freedom Hall or Memorial. Both places of course not as good as Rupp but it is what is available since UofL would never allow for UK to play in the YUM! arena.
Personally do not believe a new arena should be placed in the same spot as Rupp. Find a location not around so much other business. Traffic can be a nightmare as it is, put it some place isolated in Lexington to help with this issue. You can add a hotel and a food court as part of this arena for everyone to utilize like they do on game day. I would suggest less shopping areas and more seating as it is a challenge to find a seat to eat at Rupp.
To me, this solves this problem if a such place in Lexington exist. Since all you would need is some land, this doesn't sound that challenging of a task but I'm not in real estate...so maybe I'm wrong with that assumption.
To be honest, I'm not certain a new arena is the smartest move. I realize Louisville has one and it is our mindset that anything Louisville has, means we need to top them asap. I get that, but we have to do what is best for our program.
To me, it is like a car. When your car breaks down, you don't simply go buy a new one. It makes more financial sense to have it repaired as long as the repairs are not so high that it would be just as cheap to buy a new one. There is always that fine line of do I keep repairing this car or do I tank it. The question is, are we really at this point with Rupp? Is Rupp Arena in such bad shape that it would best to do away with it and start over?
I believe Rupp needs to be renovated but is likely ten years or more away from being a lost cause. I would paint the rafters blue...get rid of that ugly red...who ever thought that was a good idea. I would take out the wasp nest speaker system in the middle and put up the cube tv screens like you will see at Tennessee and practically all NBA teams.
I would not replace upper arena with individual seats because it would lower the capacity. People would be more comfortable but less would be able to get in. I would add a back to the seats and maybe make the seats more comfortable with padding.
What would be great is a erupption zone on both sides instead of just one. Have the other side not just for students and have it broken off by sections. Someone could have a season ticket in a certain area of the zone to where they are not racing each game to a good seat. This would force more people to be lively at the game since there are no seats. There are plenty of fans who want to come and yell loud and not sit down and this would be a perfect solution for them to be able to do this along with others who feel the same way.
Coach Cal had an idea of boxed seats underneath the seating arena, kind of like a dugout. This would give you the boxed seats income minus the seats being taken out from this edition.
Those are just some ideas. What say you? Is it time for a new arena or are you ok with renovating? Either way, what should be changed about this new place?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment