There are many UK fans taking the "good thing we didn't get Leslie, I don't want that head case..." Personally I find this angle to be the sore loser way of reacting. Maybe he did have some baggage, but it clearly was not enough for Cal to say thanks but no thanks. Cal wanted him unlike a guy like Selby. So we should be dissapointed in losing any recruit Cal wanted, especially an All American top talent.
Bledsoe and Cousins both were considered to have "baggage" and was considered a "risk" type of player. Cal clearly has a better insight on recruits than we do. Lance Stephenson one of the best players in the 09 class wanted to come to UK but Cal said no way. He considered him a taker and would not be a good chemistry fit. He didn't pass on Bledsoe and Cousins. This tells us that Cal does consider this when recruiting and knows which players will be true takers and those who may just cause a little drama on the court. In reality the player who caused the most chemistry issues was not Bledsoe or Cousins but Dodson. Dodson just had a better on court demeanor then Bledsoe and Cousins. Off the court is where the team spends most of their time and Dodson had and has issues in this area...hence the reason you will not likely see Dodson in a UK uniform next year, despite the high demand for players. Liggins has caused more problems as well then Bledsoe and Cousins. So on court demeanor doesn't always equal "a bad seed."
-Now what is the situation with Jones? Earlier this week I said Leslie and Jones were both 50/50. UK was heads and Leslie went with tails... So what about Jones? The last two days all I am hearing is good things and I would say, I like our chances.
I don't feel as confident as I did on Gilchrist, Kanter, Knight or Teague. Not because those in the know don't feel as confident but because of the situation. Jones has to decide to depart across the country and he has his best friend Ross in his ear telling him to head to Washington and they are "officially" deciding together on Friday. Doesn't mean the same school but it could easily change his mind.
The people who were calling Teague to UK wayyy before national media or UK "paid" sites, feel confident in Jones to UK but I am not going to call a "done deal" just because I could see Jones being swayed in the last week before his decision. Just because Jones is on board yesterday or today doesn't mean he will be on Friday.
So we shall see...all I know is Jones is the better talent over Leslie, not being sour grapes over losing Leslie, he just is...but Jones is set to be a one and done player where as Leslie likely isn't (especially now that he is going to a coach who can't develop like Cal). Knight, Kanter and Jones are all set to be one and dones. Jones claims he will stay around longer but many make statements like this until they see they are lottery picks and the money is just to tempting to pass up...
We shall see...we need Jones bad or we may have the smallest UK team in a long long time and will be very weak in 4/5 area.

No comments:
Post a Comment